Texas Integrative Medicine | Mold and Toxicity
page-template-default,page,page-id-22256,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,select-theme-ver-1.5,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-6.4.1,vc_responsive

Mold Illness / Toxic Mold Exposure

We have a special interest in treating individuals with symptoms of chronic illness as a result of exposure to very potent and dangerous toxins that are given off by a number of common indoor molds such as “black mold” (although other colors of mold may give off dangerous toxins as well).  These toxins known as mycotoxins are usually associated with water exposure in a building.  Even well after the water leak has stopped, mycotoxins may continue to be present in high amounts.  Some individuals remain sick long after they have left the site of mold exposure as the mycotoxins can remain in the body for years causing on-going disease.


The First Steps

The first step in treating mold illness is to completely eliminate on-going exposure to additional mycotoxins (and other toxins such as man-made that may be contributing to disease as well).  Once toxin exposure has stopped, it is then necessary to assist the body to eliminate (“detox”) these harmful substances.  We employ modern diagnostic tests at Texas Integrative Medicine including a test that measures very small amounts of mycotoxins in the urine.  With appropriate management, individuals can recover from mold illness and symptoms disappear.

Mold May contribute to other diseases

Mold illness mimics many other chronic illnesses and in fact may contribute to many other diseases such as chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, hormonal disorders, anxiety, depression, sleep disorder, autoimmune disease, irritable bowel syndrome.  The list of other diseases and symptoms may mimic other environmental illness including chronic persistent Lyme disease and other persisting infections.  Patients with mold illness may have other environmental toxicants at the same time!  This is often seen.